Hankook Winter iPike W409 Tire

df

February 18, 2015

Price Paid:  $400.00 from Les Schwab

1988 toyota camry all trac

Strengths:
great for traction and wear

Weaknesses:
numerous problems with studs penetrating the tire causing flats

Summary:
I was informed by a dealer employee who was willing to tell the truth that one series of these tires were fitted with carbon steel studs. Those studs do not wear with the tire tread and tend to extend well past the tread causing them to be pushed back into the tire especially on dry roads. Great for traction but this has resulted in 6 repair visits on this set so far. I was informed that in recent yrs the studs were changed to aluminum and this has helped. However my dealer has only offered a mileage adjustment. I think that the tires should have been recalled from a safety standpoint. The prospect of tires going flat at highway speeds is not comforting.

Scott R.

February 9, 2013

Price Paid:  $560.00 from Peerless Tires

2000 265/75R16 - Hankook IPike RW11

Strengths:
Driving 2000 GMC 4x4 Ext Cab truck in 2wd feels like driving on dry roads; Feels comfortable in ice, snow and slush. 4 wheel drive with these tires - goes where you point it!

Weaknesses:
A little slippery when breaking on ice... but stays straight and definitely better than A/T and all-season tires. I did get the ABS to kick in when going down a hill to a stop light on ice... they're not going to stop on a dime if you're trying to push it a bit.

Summary:
Casper, Wyoming : Drive in places where all-wheel and 4-wheel drives are slipping and going off road. Pulled a Chrysler 300 out of ditch (in 4-wheel drive) but didn't slip a bit... felt like pulling a car out of mud, and I was on pavement. Looked at Blizzaks, etc. but figured a cheap studless snow tire would out do an A/T any day of the week. I was right. I cannot believe I haven't used snow tires in the 20+ years I've been driving. Amazing traction and control. I am really impressed with the ride on dry roads, the control on snow and ice. I did get them to spin a bit on wet pavement, but as long as they're doing the job in snow and ice... I could really care less. I was concerned that the Hankook's wouldn't have been as good as some of the other major brands, but I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Cooper Discoverer S/T (terrible in snow and ice); Destination A/T (good all-around tire); General Grabber AT2's (good all around tire, good price); Michelin LTX MS2's (best all season and does reasonable in snow and ice)... still, none of these handle the snow and ice like the Hankooks. I'll probably get the Firestone Destination A/T's and use them in the warm seasons.

KGBrown

November 18, 2012

Price Paid:  $700.00 from Chucky Cheese

2007 Subaru Tribeca

Strengths:
Great grip in snow and rain. Long lasting

Weaknesses:
Don't get them studded. The studs wear out FAST.

Summary:
I always get studded snows for my Wife's car. They are really needed for our Vermont winter. Our dirt road gets pretty hairy. The studs wore out really fast, so I kept them on all summer. I'm getting new studded tires for this winter.

Greg

November 14, 2012

Price Paid:  $500.00 from LesSchwab

1997 Subaru Outback

Strengths:
GRIP in wet or icy conditions, heavy snow (deep)

Weaknesses:
high speed dry cornering

Summary:
Car drove like it was on rails when it snowed. I honestly think the car drove better in the snow then it did on dry pavment. Only got stuck once with them and it was completely my fault (beached it on a HUGE pile of snow). I have recently purchased another set from Tireseasy.com for my 2000 Volvo S40 for this winter season.

I have run LesSchwab Wintercats and would MUCH rather have the Hankook Ipikes,

XCELERATIONRULES

May 15, 2012

Price Paid:  $400.00 from Discount Tire Direct

2011 Toyota Camry

Strengths:
Unbelievable Grip and Traction.
Inspires confidence in all weather conditions.

Weaknesses:
Absolutely None.

Summary:
I was driving nearly 40 miles to work each day,and absolutely needed snow tires.
After spending one season on these tires I was extremely impressed.
A few storms,I actually had to pick up other employees as they could not get out of their drive way.
They were also impressed as My car moved easily through the thick snow.
I now run these tires on all 4 of my cars,all year round,as here in Ohio,it's usually wet 9 months of the year.
The tires ride well,slightly slower steering than a performance tire and are not super noisy for a snow tire.
They seem to wear well,and I've only picked up a nail in one tire in the 5 sets I've bought.
Cant beat the price at under $100 each shipped to my door.

Goodyear,Bridgestone,BF Goodrich