Hankook Winter iPike W409 Tire

Scott R.

February 9, 2013

Price Paid:  $560.00 from Peerless Tires

2000 265/75R16 - Hankook IPike RW11

Strengths:
Driving 2000 GMC 4x4 Ext Cab truck in 2wd feels like driving on dry roads; Feels comfortable in ice, snow and slush. 4 wheel drive with these tires - goes where you point it!

Weaknesses:
A little slippery when breaking on ice... but stays straight and definitely better than A/T and all-season tires. I did get the ABS to kick in when going down a hill to a stop light on ice... they're not going to stop on a dime if you're trying to push it a bit.

Summary:
Casper, Wyoming : Drive in places where all-wheel and 4-wheel drives are slipping and going off road. Pulled a Chrysler 300 out of ditch (in 4-wheel drive) but didn't slip a bit... felt like pulling a car out of mud, and I was on pavement. Looked at Blizzaks, etc. but figured a cheap studless snow tire would out do an A/T any day of the week. I was right. I cannot believe I haven't used snow tires in the 20+ years I've been driving. Amazing traction and control. I am really impressed with the ride on dry roads, the control on snow and ice. I did get them to spin a bit on wet pavement, but as long as they're doing the job in snow and ice... I could really care less. I was concerned that the Hankook's wouldn't have been as good as some of the other major brands, but I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Cooper Discoverer S/T (terrible in snow and ice); Destination A/T (good all-around tire); General Grabber AT2's (good all around tire, good price); Michelin LTX MS2's (best all season and does reasonable in snow and ice)... still, none of these handle the snow and ice like the Hankooks. I'll probably get the Firestone Destination A/T's and use them in the warm seasons.

KGBrown

November 18, 2012

Price Paid:  $700.00 from Chucky Cheese

2007 Subaru Tribeca

Strengths:
Great grip in snow and rain. Long lasting

Weaknesses:
Don't get them studded. The studs wear out FAST.

Summary:
I always get studded snows for my Wife's car. They are really needed for our Vermont winter. Our dirt road gets pretty hairy. The studs wore out really fast, so I kept them on all summer. I'm getting new studded tires for this winter.

Greg

November 14, 2012

Price Paid:  $500.00 from LesSchwab

1997 Subaru Outback

Strengths:
GRIP in wet or icy conditions, heavy snow (deep)

Weaknesses:
high speed dry cornering

Summary:
Car drove like it was on rails when it snowed. I honestly think the car drove better in the snow then it did on dry pavment. Only got stuck once with them and it was completely my fault (beached it on a HUGE pile of snow). I have recently purchased another set from Tireseasy.com for my 2000 Volvo S40 for this winter season.

I have run LesSchwab Wintercats and would MUCH rather have the Hankook Ipikes,

XCELERATIONRULES

May 15, 2012

Price Paid:  $400.00 from Discount Tire Direct

2011 Toyota Camry

Strengths:
Unbelievable Grip and Traction.
Inspires confidence in all weather conditions.

Weaknesses:
Absolutely None.

Summary:
I was driving nearly 40 miles to work each day,and absolutely needed snow tires.
After spending one season on these tires I was extremely impressed.
A few storms,I actually had to pick up other employees as they could not get out of their drive way.
They were also impressed as My car moved easily through the thick snow.
I now run these tires on all 4 of my cars,all year round,as here in Ohio,it's usually wet 9 months of the year.
The tires ride well,slightly slower steering than a performance tire and are not super noisy for a snow tire.
They seem to wear well,and I've only picked up a nail in one tire in the 5 sets I've bought.
Cant beat the price at under $100 each shipped to my door.

Goodyear,Bridgestone,BF Goodrich

David Yang

February 22, 2012

Price Paid:  $500.00 from Craigslist

2000 Gs400

Strengths:
Strong, grips, sticks, and grabs like no other.

Weaknesses:
None

Summary:
I had bought these ipike tires last year and it has been nothing but good to me. This is my first back wheel drive car n I knew for sure I needed winter tires. It has done what I needs to do but I'll have to admit that rear wheel drive cars during winter is awful. I didn't need winter tires on my front wheel drive cars other than really good tread that's all season n you wouldn't have any problem but if u considered having winter tires on a front wheel drive, u have no other worries in life. But getting back to what we r talking about, these tires are the best for the bang for the buck. Im not sure how that stupid guy with the trucks that had these tires on said that it would be better if he pushed his car, really dude, your a total doush n dummy. To put on some regular tires on n see how far u really get, maybe one place, our garage all winter long....lol. Pound for pound for the money, these are the best winter tires. Not studded so don't expect the anything with ice, it still gets the business done.

All kinds of all season tires. Driven other types of winter tires on other cars such as blizzak, Michelin and what not.