Bilstein Monotube Shocks

More products from Bilstein >>
Monotube Shocks MSRP: $

Bilstein's monotube design exposes the shock body to maximum air flow, lowering the operating temperature of the internal components and fluid, extending life. The nitrogen gas is separated from the superior grade oil by a specially designed, close tolerance, floating piston. This design maintains constant pressure against the hydraulic fluid, absolutely eliminating fluid aeration and performance loss that is common to conventional twin tube design shocks.

Yvan Campeau

July 18, 2011

Price Paid:  $400.00 from Essex Distributors

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Diesel

Strengths:
Nice colors, looks strongly constructed, smooth ride on nicely paved highways.

Weaknesses:
Not enough compression and needs much more rebound

Summary:
I made the decision to purchased these Bilstein shocks based on the information they give us about them being so good, but I should of had read the reviews in the first place. To soft! Truck is bouncing when going though wavy spots on the highway or over bridge joints. Not made for Ram 2500! I regret the purchase.

N/A first replacing them

Ian

December 29, 2009

Price Paid:  $12000.00

2003 Ranger

Strengths:
Handles Great, much better than other shocks on Rangers. Really a good shock for any Ranger.

Summary:
Shocks are getting warn, considering a second set. 104,000km's

Stock Ranger Shocks.

Gary

April 13, 2009

Price Paid:  $250.00 from ProAm

2002 Silverado 1500

Weaknesses:
too soft

Summary:
I purchased the Bilsteins in an attempt to get a firmer ride and less bounce for my truck. Immediately after receiving the shocks I noticed them to be more giving than the KYB Monomax shocks that I have. After installation, the truck rides softer and wobbles more than before. I bought the Bilsteins because others stated them to be firm but now I regret my decision to replace my shocks.

KYB MonoMax

Fred Black

May 9, 2007

2002 Ford f250 SD

Strengths:
smooth, consistent, frees up suspension travel, good for off road.

Weaknesses:
a bit wallowy and divy. Truck sways and bounces more with these especially when the truck is loaded up.

Summary:
After one of the stock shocks failed I purchesed these for the truck thinking that they would ride like the Bilsteins I bought in the 80's for a Volvo and Ford Rainger. I am quite disapointed in them as they are not as firm as they used to be. Bilsteins used to be known as very firm shocks for a super solid and controlled street ride, but the newer generations of these shocks are a rather a bit softer. They are actually a lot softer than the stock shocks that come on the 2wd F250. I talked to Steve B. at Bilstein Ca. and he admitted (but only after much cajoling) that Bilsteins are not the Euro type shocks or yore. So, if your current shocks are softish or shot the Bilsteins will probably work just fine but, if you are looking for top street performance gains out of a damper I'd look elswhere.

richbuga

January 29, 2007

Price Paid:  $225.00 from AjUSA

1985 '81 Bronco

Strengths:
Handle rough roads well.

Weaknesses:
They don't have a very positive response at the upper end of their travel. Maybe they are better suited for a lighter vehicle.

Summary:
I went with these because KYB and Edelbrock do not make rears that fit my rig, in their higher end shocks, and I can't say that I am all that impressed with them. Based on the other reviews here I expected a much stiffer ride. They always feel that they are giving way too much in their initial travel and then they recover with a good firm dampening action. The end result, for my vehicle, is a rather strange combination of handling characteristics consisting of a springy ride on light bumps, soft on the highway and a good predictable feel under harsh use. It seems that I am never really sure how they are going to react in a given situation... but, maybe they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do and I just have to get used to the beast riding like it never has before.

Rancho 500's - very positive firm feel, took them off thinking they were bad...turned out to be the springs and now they don't make them anymore.
Gabriel LT's - Just ok and they don't last long.